Position: Research Analyst
Status: Full time, Exempt
Reports to: Senior Director Philanthropic Advising
About the Science Philanthropy Alliance (Alliance)
The mission of the Science Philanthropy Alliance is to increase philanthropic support for basic scientific research. Since its inception in 2013, the philanthropic community has shown broad interest and support for the Alliance’s mission. The Alliance provides its employees with an incredible opportunity to influence the basic science research philanthropic community.
The philanthropic sector, has a long and robust history in the U.S., beginning in the early 20th century. Nonprofits have risen to become the third-largest employers in the U.S. economy, employing 11.9 million Americans nationwide, with retail trade as the largest (15.7 million) and manufacturing as the second largest (12.3 million). According to the report, “Nonprofit employment is much larger than expected and much more widely dispersed, (health field 54.3%, education 15.6%, and social assistance 12.1%) outdistancing many major industries in its contribution to state employment and payrolls.
Given the expense of the research enterprise, philanthropic dollars can be essential to advancing science, especially for projects considered too risky or long-term for government agencies to fund. Philanthropy supports researchers at all career levels, individual projects, equipment, and other infrastructure, including the construction and maintenance of laboratories or institutes.
The Science Philanthropy Alliance is a group of funders that have come together to increase philanthropic support for basic scientific research to accelerate scientific discovery in the twenty-first century. We accomplish this by understanding the opportunities and complexities philanthropists face in their quest to fund basic science. We provide advice and networking and convening opportunities for individuals and foundations so they can help answer scientific questions, solve big problems, and further our knowledge about the natural world. We empower them to advance their scientific interests and priorities. We do this by utilizing our deep connections in the worlds of science and philanthropy. By serving as impartial advisers to philanthropists, promoting collaboration among those who are interested in this vital stage of scientific discovery, and bringing together donors and top scientists, the Alliance aims to substantially increase philanthropic funding for fundamental research and to create a community of funders for discovery-driven scientific inquiry.
About the Position
The Research Analyst will report directly to the Sr. Director Philanthropic Advising. A member of the membership and advising team, this role will support the Alliance’s advising work by supporting the team to develop and communicate a robust evidence base for advising activities. The work will include opportunities to provide analysis of both scientific and philanthropic topics. For example; developing and supporting analysis of a survey on COVID-19 protocols and member foundations or developing a landscape analysis of funders supporting clean energy research.
- Conduct research including literature reviews and landscape analysis on philanthropic and discovery science topics.
- Develop research tools including interview guides and surveys.
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data from both primary and secondary research
- Partner with the advising team and communications team to develop reports, white papers, data visualizations, and presentations.
- Participate in meetings, events, and workshops to discuss research findings and recommendations
- Collaborate with Alliance staff on communications strategies, event planning, strategic planning, and operations.
- Opportunities to contribute to reports/scientific publications that advance the mission and educational objectives of the Alliance.
- Minimum master’s degree or equivalent, with some experience in science related field;
- Minimum 2 years experience in advising, consulting, research, and/or communications within research- related institution, foundation, or a non-profit organization dedicated to science
- Demonstrated understanding of measurement, evaluation, and learning.
- Ability to use evidence to inform decision-making.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, particularly in writing and editing materials with scientific content (letters, white papers, summary documents)
- Ability to prepare presentations with scientific content; preferred experience creating basic graphics
- Unimpeachable integrity and trustworthiness; a fine-tuned sense of discretion in the handling of confidential and sensitive matters
- Demonstrates the values of diversity and inclusion and supports the Alliance to integrate DEI principles into advising work
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Office suite and ability to learn to use relational databases (Salesforce)
Compensation & Benefits
Pay range: $70,000 (Min of grade) – $100,000 (Realistic Max) salary per year. The range listed is one component of the total compensation package for employees.
Science Philanthropy Alliance offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including health coverage, retirement benefits, paid sick leave, vacation and holidays.
To apply, email an updated resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications received by February 16 will be prioritized for review.