Status: Full time, Exempt
Reports to: Strategy Director
About the Science Philanthropy Alliance
The mission of Science Philanthropy Alliance is to increase philanthropic support for basic scientific research. Since its inception in 2013, the philanthropic community has shown broad interest and support for the Alliance’s mission. The Alliance provides its employees with an incredible opportunity to influence the basic science research philanthropic community.
The Alliance is a group of funders that have come together to increase philanthropic support for basic scientific research to accelerate scientific discovery in the twenty-first century. We accomplish this by understanding the opportunities and complexities philanthropists face in their quest to fund basic science. We provide advice and networking and convening opportunities for individuals and foundations so they can help answer scientific questions, solve big problems, and further our knowledge about the natural world. We empower them to advance their own science interests and priorities. We do this by utilizing our deep connections in the worlds of science and philanthropy. By serving as impartial advisers to philanthropists, promoting collaboration among those who are interested in this vital stage of scientific discovery, and bringing together donors and top scientists, the Alliance aims to substantially increase philanthropic funding for fundamental research and to create a community of funders for discovery-driven scientific inquiry.
About the Position
The strategic initiative manager will report directly to the strategy director and work closely with the Alliance president. The strategic initiative manager will partner with the strategy director to support the implementation of the organization’s new strategic plan. The primary focus of this position will be on supporting the Alliance to gather and share science funding trends and manage external partnerships, particularly with research and academic institutions, with an emphasis on ensuring broad and inclusive engagement for increased impact and effectiveness. The strategic initiative manager will also lead special projects related to positioning and promoting science philanthropy and contribute to additional strategic initiatives as appropriate.
Sharing Science Funding Trends
- Manage the Alliance’s work to understand and report on the contribution and trends of science philanthropy through primary and secondary research and partnerships with organizations collecting and analyzing funding data
- Collect and report on the aggregated giving of Alliance members
- Identify common data collection and reporting practices and explore data aggregator services to help interested funders make their data standardized and accessible
- Support the sharing of funding data and trends with philanthropic and broad audiences through publications, reports, blog posts, and other media
Partnering for Impact and Effectiveness
- Develop and manage broad and inclusive relationships with research institutions to share outreach about science philanthropy
- Establish a broad contact database and facilitate two-way communications, including the sharing of funding calls and opportunities
- Manage the biennial research institutions meeting in partnership with staff and event contractors
- Support strategy director and president in managing additional key partnerships as needed (e.g., with federal agencies, groups of institutions, or international entities)
- Manage special projects (e.g., articles, presentations, convenings)
- Provide regular briefs and status reports on projects
- Collaborate with Alliance staff to develop events, workshops, publications, and materials
- Contribute to additional strategic initiatives as appropriate (e.g., new activities related to science communication and public engagement)
- Minimum masters degree or equivalent, with some experience in science or science policy related field; Ph.D. preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience in advising, consulting, research, policy, and/or communications within a research- related institution, foundation, government agency, or a non-profit organization dedicated to science; some experience with philanthropy preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of measurement and evaluation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, particularly in writing and editing materials with science or science policy content
- Ability to prepare presentations; preferred experience creating basic graphics
- Unimpeachable integrity and trustworthiness; a fine-tuned sense of discretion in the handling of confidential and sensitive matters
- Demonstrates the Alliance’s values of learning, curiosity, innovation; collaboration, sharing, partnerships; and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and supports the Alliance to integrate DEI principles into its work
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Office suite and ability to learn to use relational databases (Salesforce)
Compensation / Benefits/ Term of Employment
The Alliance offers a robust compensation and benefits package including a competitive salary, full medical/dental/disability/life insurance benefits, retirement plan participation and flexible spending accounts, vacation, personal and volunteer leave benefits. The employee will be appointed initially for one year, with continuation of the second-year contingent on a significant review after the first year.
The salary range for this position is $100K – $125K.
New Venture Fund Careers
Science Philanthropy Alliance is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please submit your application by October 21, 2022 for priority review.